horseradish deviled eggs

Wednesday, February 2, 2011


On our way across the country, we stopped in Memphis, TN. It was insanely hot in Memphis. So hot my sweat was burning lines down my face. Sticky and hot. So hot that I didn't care one bit that it was too early for dinner, or how expensive the first restaurant that we came to was…I just needed air conditioning. and ice water. I don't do that kind of heat well.

I don't even remember the name of the restaurant, but they had several unique animal heads mounted to the walls. And a crystal chandelier hanging above our heads, which was the only thing I took a picture of while we were there, but the focus was all goofy. so I'm not showing it to you.

Dinner was delicious…though I don't even remember what I had. What I do remember is the appetizer. Seems they had a tradition of doing a different deviled egg each night for an appetizer. And the night we were there, it was a horseradish deviled egg. With tiny shrimps on top. I could do without the shrimp, but the horseradish was great.

Several months after our memphis adventure, my husband and I were reminiscing about those horseradish deviled eggs. So I thought I'd make some. Then I made them again, and decided to take pictures along the way.

So here's my random post of the day: not a recipe, really, because I didn't measure anything, but, in the tradition of the Pioneer Woman, a step-by-step photo tutorial for a twist on your traditional deviled eggs.


You start, of course, with hard boiled eggs. you can probably make them just as well as I can. My "method" is cover the eggs in cold water, bring to a boil, boil for a minute (or until I remember them) then turn the heat off and let them sit for 18 minutes before rinsing them in cold water. (or is it 14 minutes?)

Sometimes they come out beautifully, like this time.

So…crack those shells off and gather your ingredients!



That's kosher salt in the tiny white dish. use whatever salt you normally use.


Slice those orbs end to end, hopefully revealing this luscious golden yellow yolk. with no greenish stuff going on. (what causes that, anyway?)


Scoop the yolks out into a dish.


Add a dollop of each of the wet ingredients…mayo, mustard & horseradish.


Add salt, pepper and paprika to your liking (helpful, I know!). then mush it all up to blend it all together and scoop it back into the whites.

Arrange on a plate and add something green (tiny basil leaves here) just to make it look pretty. then devour. and wonder why you only made two!


if this was for a competition cooking show, I'd have points docked for presentation for that tiny dot of egg filling that landed on the plate. sigh.

2 comments:

Jenny @ Words on Wendhurst said...

Yummy. :-) I am glad you are blogging more this month too! :-)

Victoria said...

Yum. Eric's a big fan of horseradish. Will have to try those.

Green yolks - overcooking, I think.

FYI - the fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel when hard-boiled. Wisdom only obtained by having those feathered creatures right outside my door.

More info than you ever wanted. I'm just glad you're blogging again. Maybe I'll start again soon.