baby girls

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I mentioned the nibling a while back, and that was before we knew that the nibling is actually a niece! Since the nursery is painted the color of a certain rather famous bear, and I was fortunate enough to find some fabric featuring that same bear, I whipped up a blanket & dress and a soft rattle block for her before heading up to the baby shower.

I have since found out that there is another niece on the way in my own immediate family…so there will be more baby girl sewing shown here shortly!




And, since babies seem to come with a whole lot of stuff, I made a little fabric basket to help corral the stuff.


I love it that so many crafty folks are posting free tutorials for fun thngs to make. I've linked above to the tutorials I used to make the dress, block & basket. Thank you to Made by Rae, London Mummy & The Sometimes Crafter for sharing your expertise with us!

The blanket was just a piece of quilting cotton & a piece of flannel sewn right sides together with space left to turn right side out, then finished with a decorative topstitch around the edges. No batting, no quilting…and I love the drape and feel of it with the flannel backing…it's a great lightweight blankie for the babe :)

oh…and here's some proof that sometimes I need to slow down and actually look at what I'm doing. I sewed the skirt on upside down the first time around!!

8 comments:

Jdaniels said...

Hello,
Just stopped by, and thought I'd say that I love the dress and blanket! I grew up with Winnie-the-Pooh ... and I'll probably always have a soft spot for that bear!

BTW - the upside-down skirt just means that the little girl can see everything right-side up while sitting down!

Victoria said...

I've said it before...almost makes me want to have another one. Almost.

Free Pretty Things For You said...

girls are fun!!
i have an 8 month old :)

Treadle Pushers Quilting said...

I had no idea you were so talented! All this time, you could have been teaching a few classes!!! I heart it all!

jen said...

Sharon…no way am I teaching!! I can stumble through and figure things out, but I'm not so good at showing others how to do it! And I know how to take photos to hide my goofs!!

becky said...

I have dubbed the dress the going home outfit, unless she needs to grow into it. The blanket is ready for use and the fabric box is stuffed with pacifiers and other things needed near the changing area :0) Esther is blessed to have such a crafty Aunt :0)

JulieMom said...

That is so great!! I love all of it! I have thought of making some of those fabric boxes too. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. Well done!!

cinnamonisgross95 said...

its all beautiful! i no the baby will love them!